UK won’t take further action until GoSL completes its inquiry GTF demands withdrawal of visas issued to Fernando family

0
597

By Shamindra Ferdinando

 

The British High Commission yesterday said that the UK wouldn’t take further action regarding an incident outside the Sri Lankan High Commission in London on Feb. 4, leading to Sri Lanka recalling its defence attache Brig. Priyanka Fernando until Colombo completed its own inquiry.

 

Asked whether the UK had decided on UK headquartered Global Tamil Forum (GTF) request to order Brig. Fernando’s family out, the BHC has sent us the following statement: “The Sri Lankan Government is currently carrying out consultations with those involved in the incident that took place outside the Sri Lankan High Commission in London on 4th February. It would not be appropriate for the UK to comment on or take further action regarding the incident until the Sri Lankan

 

Government has completed its investigation.”

 

The GTF called for immediate removal of Brig. Fernando’s family soon after the Gemunu Watch veteran returned home in spite of President Maithripala Sirisena’s initial intervention to halt his recall by Colombo. Highly placed sources told The Island that Fernando faced expulsion unless Sri Lanka recalled him.

 

GTF spokesperson Suren Surendiran made available to The Island correspondence between the grouping and British authorities to explain their efforts to get rid of the military officer and his family.

 

The family continued to remain in the UK.

 

The GTF has requested the UK to withdraw their visas and send them back to Colombo as they received visas being the family of Brig. Fernando, a diplomatic passport holder.

 

Former Navy Chief of Staff Rear Admiral Sarath Weerasekera and retired Maj. Gen. Kamal Gunaratne told media briefing early this week that the government should seek an explanation from British High Commissioner Dauris as to why UK allowed British citizens of Sri Lanka origin to trample Sri Lankan national flag, while waving the banned LTTE flag.

 

War veterans said that Brig. Fernando had been offered a three month course in China as consolation.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here